Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport Opens SkyCourt


Budapest International Airport (BUD) has opened its new SkyCourt area, that links the existing terminals 2A and 2B. As part of the opening ceremony, the airport has been officially renamed to be Budapest Ferenc Liszt airport – to mark the 200 birth anniversary year of Hungarian composer, Ferenc (or Franz) Liszt.

Budapest Airport handled 8.2 million passengers in 2010 (up by 1.2% from 2009) and this new addition to the Terminal 2 block will nearly double the capacity of the terminal itself (from 4.5 million to 8.5 million) and enhances passenger handling and experience by adding 28 new passenger security screening channels, 50 border crossing points, 21 boarding gates, 80 check-in counters, 16 self-check-in kiosks and multiple retail outlets. The contemporary structure extends over five stories, two of which are underground, and offers an impressive view of the apron. Only from iron, 1200 tons were used, mainly for the roof, that spans over 80 meters.

The 24.000 square meter SkyCourt represents an investment of €70 million and is part of a €261 million, five-year expansion plan dubbed BUD Future, which aims to position the airport as a key Eastern European hub. BUD Future is co-financed by the EU and the airport’s owner, Budapest Airport Zrt, a public-private partnership with the Hungarian state holding 25% and the remaining 75% owned by German company Hochtief AirPort and four financial investors. BUD Future also includes the construction of a “cargo city” comprising 140,000 sq. m. of cargo and logistics terminals designed for airlines, handlers and integrators. The building is designed in a way, that together with the two terminals, it can later be further extended with two more wings and even satellite terminals to handle up to 20 million passengers at full completion.

Now work will focus on renovating and upgrading Terminals 2A and 2B, as well as the construction of a airport hotel.

The airport incorporates two terminals; T1 is a dedicated Low-cost terminal and T2 services traditional carriers. Budapest Liszt Ferenc International Airport is the base for oneworld member Malev Hungarian Airlines and is home to a further 32 carriers serving more than 92 destinations in 40 countries worldwide.

by balint01

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




Blog calendar

March 2011
M T W T F S S
« Feb   Apr »
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  

Archives


%d bloggers like this: